Wednesday 8 January 2014

Conversation with a ladykiller – part 1


Scene:
The bar of the Trevor Arms pub situated opposite Knightsbridge tube station

Characters:
Neville Heath, serial sex killer (deceased)
Jack Fielding, author (just about living)

Both men are standing at the bar, drinking whiskey. 

 
JF: I hope you didn’t mind me using your first victim, Margery Gardner, in Zen City, Iso? 

NH: Of course not, old boy. You were free to do what you wanted with her – I did. I must say that I could just imagine her going off on a jaunt to somewhere exotic like Siam. I enjoyed the references to her coming from Sheffield and frequenting the Panama Club in South Ken, which of course all applied to the real-life Margery. Including her ocelot stole was a nice touch – I remember her wearing that in the Nag’s Head. And she did indeed have nice legs. Good attention to detail, Jack. Well done.   

JF (finishes his drink): Thank you. What about me getting her mixed up in that blackmail scam in the novel, the one involving Henrici and Madam Sin that went horribly wrong?

NH: Well, I certainly liked the scenes in that awful, dingy hotel room, especially the really violent bits. Brought back all sorts of delicious memories I can tell you! But as for her actually agreeing to do something like that…mm, I felt that was stretching things a bit really. You know, Margery wasn’t at all the sort of girl they described in the rags. She was quite an arty Bohemian sort, liked a good time but never a slap rat or a film extra tramp. Just never had a lot of luck with men, I’m afraid.

JF: Men like you, you mean?

NH (grinning): Quite.  

JF: Another whiskey, Nev?

NH: Now that is damned decent of you, old boy. Better make it a double.
 
JF: Didn’t you ask for a double once before?

NH: Yes, just before they hanged me – you know, as in any last wishes.

JF: Goodness, I forgot that.

NH throws his head back and laughs uproariously while JF gets the drinks in
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment